[TriLUG] OT: Laptop Hard Drive

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Fri Nov 18 10:13:14 EST 2011

On Fri, 18 Nov 2011, Brian Blater wrote:

> I will try the freezer trick to see if I can access the
> data.

Another thing I do is every month for each partition I fill
the empty space with 0's

dd if=/dev/zero of=zero.zero; rm zero.zero

(doing this even on the root partition hasn't caused any
crashes in the years I've been doing it).

I do this for 2 reasons, neither of which I've needed.

o if ddrescue partially recovers a sector with almost all
0's, I know I can ignore it.

o if I have to do an unerase, I know which sectors to
ignore. However I haven't figured out how to recover erased
files - I couldn't understand the instructions with
sleuthkit etc - and I assume I'm never going to be able to
use this feature.

Joe