[TriLUG] Wireless Router Recommendations

Randy Barlow randy at electronsweatshop.com
Mon Dec 12 12:06:37 EST 2011

On 12/12/2011 10:00 AM, Bill Farrow wrote:
> Once you have set this up and had a couple of weeks run time, would
> you be able to give TriLUG a follow up ?  Either a quick post back to
> this mailing list to say what you did and any problems encountered, or
> you could do it as a TriLUG talk.

I'd be happy to! I also plan to write a review of it on Newegg once I've
had it for ~30 days (that's their return period).

To be honest, the process of selecting this device was a huge pain. It's
really hard to find the information you are looking for when you plan to
use the device in a way that's a bit different than it was intended to
be used. I mostly plan just to use it as a WAP and an ethernet switch
since I have a Gentoo machine as my proper router. I think it would be
nice if DD-WRT and OpenWRT and others would make recommendation lists in
addition to their databases of supported devices. It would be cool to
know what the developers of those distros are working with, because I'd
guess that those devices will work the best.

In the end, it seemed that you get slightly better hardware for
significantly less money with the Buffalo, so I hope that it turns out
to be reliable.