[TriLUG] Where does one go for the best in Linux hardware?

Jimmy Dorff jdorff at phy.duke.edu
Mon Dec 12 11:46:58 EST 2011

On 12/10/2011 12:15 AM, Tarus Balog wrote:
> After years of being an Apple fanboy I am moving away from Apple gear and I'd like to get a nice, small Linux laptop (a la a Macbook Air) and a decent desktop system. The only problem is that it has been so long since I've bought non-Apple, non-server hardware I'm at a loss. It seems that a lot of gear includes either NVIDIA video or Broadcom wireless cards, and I'd like something Debian friendly.

http://zareason.com/shop/home.php
http://www.system76.com/

Neither have the Intel ultrabook hardware yet. That is the true Macbook
Air competitor. I don't know how well the lenovo U300s will support
Linux, but that is a good example of the ultrabook design. Of course,
these system all have lower resolution screens that the 13" air :(

More interesting reading on the topic:
http://arstechnica.com/hardware/news/2011/09/ultrabook-intels-300-million-plan-to-beat-apple-at-its-own-game.ars/2

-Jimmy