[TriLUG] Reporting Linux Kernel Issues

Tarus Balog tarus at opennms.org
Wed Dec 14 18:09:24 EST 2011

Gang:

Off and on for several weeks now I've been beating my head against a wall trying to get my Macbook Air to dual boot Linux. None of the distros I tried would even recognize the hard drive.

Well, I figured out today that it appears to be a Linux 3.1 kernel issue. I installed squeeze, which worked, and then did a dist-upgrade to wheezy, which didn't.

During the initial boot, I'd get an error like this:

ata1.00: exception Emask 0x0 Sact 0x0 SErr 0x0 action 0x6 frozen
ata1.00: failed command: IDENTIFY DEVICE

However, since I was also able to boot to a 2.6 kernel, I found that it worked. I had never been able to see the error before because I could never even get Linux on the machine.

Since it boots under 2.6 and not 3.0, I am assuming that something has changed in the kernel and I'd like to be a good citizen and report it.

Note that the hard drive was a 256GB SSD purchased from Other World Computing and was not stock. The stock SSD appears to work fine, and the OWC drive works fine under OS X.

I just don't know where to send the bug report.

-T
Tarus BALOG, OpenNMS Maintainer             Main:   +1 919 533 0160
The OpenNMS Group, Inc.                     Fax:    +1 773 345 3645
Email: tarus at opennms.org                    URL: http://www.opennms.org
PGP Key Fingerprint: 8945 8521 9771 FEC9 5481  512B FECA 11D2 FD82 B45C