[TriLUG] Offsite data backup/storage suggestions

James Jones jc.jones at tuftux.com
Wed Dec 14 22:06:08 EST 2011

Jack,

I use adrive.com for some data storage. You get 50gb for free using
their on line apps for upload and download. Their apps work with
Linux. You might want to check out their paid storage as well.

I also have an amazon web account, but have not been too happy with
the uploading routine for storage.

jcj

On Wed, Dec 14, 2011 at 2:47 PM, Jack Hill <jackhill at jackhill.us> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've decided it's time to get an automatic off site backups setup (My
> current setup of exchanging between my office and home every week isn't
> working since it requires manual intervention).
>
> This is for personal/family data. I'm estimating 30GB, which is probably
> contains reproducible data, but I don't want to have to organize my content
> based on whether it needs an off site backup. I'm planing on managing the
> backups with duplicity (other software suggestions are welcome).
>
> I currently estimate my cost at around $50/500GB/year (get two $500GB
> drives, replace one every year).
>
> My question is what storage provider do people recommend? My default choice
> would be Amazon S3. I guess I could go with the reduced redundancy since
> that's still more than I'm doing now. What other providers should I be
> looking at? Ubuntu One (n.b. I'm not on Ubuntu) seems a lot cheaper.
>
> Thanks,
> Jack
> --
> This message was sent to: jc jones <jc.jones at tuftux.com>