[TriLUG] Offsite data backup/storage suggestions

Jack Hill jackhill at jackhill.us
Fri Dec 16 21:19:48 EST 2011

Thanks to everyone for your responses.

I find using a proprietary tool really distasteful and insulting so don't
use them. CrashPlan and JungleDisk don't tell you tell me what interface
they provide to my data which suggests that they're using this model. Also,
JungleDisk just seems to be a wrapper around S3 which provides a fine
interface on it's own.

That leaves rsync.net, S3, and adrive.com.

I really like rsync.net's philosophy, but I don't really see myself using
their support, so can't justify paying a premium for it.

I think I'll try them in order of increasing price. First, adrive, and if
that is annoying in some way, then I'll try S3, and if that is annoying
then rsync.net.

Jack