[TriLUG] book for kids on open source philosophy?

Joel J. Adamson adamsonj at ninthfloor.org
Tue Jan 24 13:52:23 EST 2012

Joseph Mack NA3T <jmack at wm7d.net> writes:

> On Thu, 19 Jan 2012, Igor Partola wrote:
>
>> Kevin,
>>
>> I thought I'd throw a movie out there: Revolution OS
>> (http://www.revolution-os.com/)
>
> I didn't know about this, although I have seen the speech where RMS
> says "it's GNU/Linux" and Linus brings his kids out on stage,
> distracting people from the point that RMS is making. (As a result I
> changed my .sig - see last line of my .sig below).

The interesting thing was the contrast between the "pragmatists," like
CmdrTaco saying "people are coding this stuff because they need it," and
Bruce Perens, rms and others.  After the IPO footage, there's a last
word from rms where he reminds people that it's still about freedom.

> I didn't understand who Cygnus was (or the "gnu" in Cygnus), so that
> was news to me. It seems Cygnus hasn't had the ups and downs of
> VALinux and RedHat.

Cygnus was acquired by RedHat.

Joel

--