[TriLUG] book for kids on open source philosophy?

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Wed Jan 25 13:23:18 EST 2012

On Tue, 24 Jan 2012, Joel J. Adamson wrote:

> The interesting thing was the contrast between the "pragmatists," like
> CmdrTaco saying "people are coding this stuff because they need it,"

you get the rewards that Woz got (shunted off to the side,
admittedly with a sinecure). It's hard to imagine that Woz
had no more ideas.

The alternative is not become SJ, but to be rewarded for
your work.

> and Bruce Perens, rms and others.  After the IPO footage,
> there's a last word from rms where he reminds people that
> it's still about freedom.

yes. Gotta remember that.

>> I didn't understand who Cygnus was (or the "gnu" in
>> Cygnus), so that was news to me. It seems Cygnus hasn't
>> had the ups and downs of VALinux and RedHat.
>
> Cygnus was acquired by RedHat.

ah. I remember now. Apart from installing cygwin on a
windows box in a desperate attempt to make it usable, I've
had no contact with Cygnus.

Joe