[TriLUG] gparted won't resize an ntfs partition

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Mon Feb 13 21:39:17 EST 2012

I'm rescuing a laptop with lots of bad sectors (1900 or so).
I recovered the files with ntfsclone and have copied the
files onto a new disk (OK by badblocks) with an ntfs
filesystem made by mkntfs and the laptop boots and runs
fine.

However trying to resize the partition with the gparted live
cd, fails immediately (there's the info triangle with an
exclamation mark on that line on the partition table).
Apparently the partition has 1900 or so bad sectors.

Q1. How does the new disk have bad sectors on it? It appears
that all the bad sector info was carried over with the
ntfsclone files.

You are supposed to be able to cure this by running chkdsk
C:/f/r and rebooting twice (which I've done), but still
gparted won't touch the disk.

I found on google that you can run ntfsresize on the
partition if you use the --bad-sectors option (igore bad
sectors) and I get a machine that boots. However the
partition still had the bad sectors on it according to
gparted.

Anyone know what's going on?

Thanks Joe