[TriLUG] IPv6 migration resistance

Jonathan Woodbury jonathan at mybox.org
Sun Mar 11 12:38:48 EDT 2012

The value of http://www.worldipv6launch.org/ is the coordination,
especially from the big players.

Let's say I have a business with a site with an audience that includes
mobile phone users in developing countries.  And let's say it's reasonable
to think that those devices, in the near future, might have degraded IPv4
service or maybe no IPv6 service at all, just IPv6.  I want to take steps
now to make sure those users can reach my site.  So I make my site
reachable over IPv6.  Great!  But some people are now having trouble
reaching my site.  My audience includes office workers in developed
countries and it turns out that many of them have IT departments that
rolled out IPv6 but they don't monitor it like they do IPv4.  Their IPv6
service is broken and they can't route v6 traffic out to the Internet, but
they don't realize it.  My site is now unreachable to them.  It's their
fault, but I'm losing visitors!

If I coordinate my site's transition to v6 with Google, Facebook, Bing,
Yahoo, and Akamai, then I'm less likely to lose visitors.  People will
quickly get their networks in line if they can't reach Google and Facebook.