[TriLUG] Smart host suggestions?

matt at noway2.thruhere.net matt at noway2.thruhere.net
Thu Mar 29 12:01:51 EDT 2012

> Hi Folks,
>
> I'm looking for a reliable smart host through which I can relay my
> outbound
> e-mail from my postfix server at home (TWC Business Class recently shut
> the
> door on free relaying).
>
> I found one called dnsexit.com, but the shaky grammar on the website makes
> me wonder if the service is just as shaky (or shady).
>
> Is anyone using a smart host / relay service they would recommend?

What do you mean by "shut the door on free relaying"?  What are you using
for a service provider?  Do you have TWC business or residential?

I've had the business service for about 2 years and it always required
authentication to relay through the BC mail servers, but the residential
SMTP would accept mail from addresses on their network without auth.  If
you have BC service, you shouldn't need to relay your mail.  Ok, that is
if you get a BC static IP instead of the default dynamic.