[TriLUG] Smart host suggestions?

Brian Henning bhenning at pineinst.com
Thu Mar 29 12:15:59 EDT 2012

Matt said:
> What do you mean by "shut the door on free relaying"?  What are you using
> for a service provider?  Do you have TWC business or residential?

> I've had the business service for about 2 years and it always required
> authentication to relay through the BC mail servers, but the residential
> SMTP would accept mail from addresses on their network without auth.  If
> you have BC service, you shouldn't need to relay your mail.  Ok, that is
> if you get a BC static IP instead of the default dynamic.

I have a dynamic IP with TWC business class.  Up until Monday, I was able to
relay out through smtp-server.nc.rr.com without authentication.  The service
guy I spoke to today confirmed it's a recent change that they've started
requiring authentication.  Perhaps they've always SAID they require
authentication, but it had been working without it 'til this week.

I have a really good deal on my internet service (and I had to call and have
them correct my bill three times to make sure they honored the deal), so I
don't want to rock that boat again by trying to add static IP.

It seems DynDNS also offers a relay service.  I think I may investigate
that.

Thanks,
~Brian