[TriLUG] OT: NC insurance options

matt at noway2.thruhere.net matt at noway2.thruhere.net
Wed Apr 4 17:15:43 EDT 2012

> It just so happens that I'm a web developer at BCBSNC so I brought this up
> at work and asked if anyone here at BCBSNC would be interested in talking
> to TriLUG about this topic.  Our marketing director would love to
> coordinate something and that could cover things like health insurance in
> general, health care reform, questions about BCBSNC products, and so on.
>  I'll send contact info on to the steering committee.
>
> Lucas

I have two questions that I would like addressed:
One, assuming any agency would be interested in such a thing, how many
people would it take to form a co-op that would achieve any sort of group
discount?

Two, do they offer any sort of HSA (health savings account) coupled with a
"major medical" care type coverage that kicks in after a moderate
deductible.  One advantage of the HSA being that the funds can go towards
paying for such a deductible, and/or your portion of any major claim if
you should have one, or cover office visit type expenses.

The main reasons that I bring up an HSA is that it partially addresses my,
 hands down biggest, complaint about an insurance based health system:
that what you pay into the system doesn't go towards your future needs but
only grants you the ability to seek care while you are currently paying
into the system with all past funds being forfeit to them as profit.  For
an ins company, it gives them the reassurance that I am not going to run
to the Dr or worse, the emr room every time I get a stubbed toe, lowering
their risks.