[TriLUG] OT: WTB Mac Tower suitable for video production

Jack Hill jackhill at jackhill.us
Mon Apr 9 11:39:12 EDT 2012

On Sun, 08 Apr 2012 22:26:43 -0400
Tom Eisenmenger <teisenmenger at charter.net> wrote:

> Fair enough.  I do some occasional PC consulting/service up here in
> Roanoke Rapids and occasionally get calls on Macs (local shops won't
> touch 'em, apparently).  The Mac is to replace a client's dead G4
> tower - this is his requirement, not mine. FWIW, I must admit I do
> like Apple products for the most part.  I much prefer them to Windows
> if I have to work with non-FOSS.

Cool. I used to think that, but Apple's stuff is annoying in it’s own
way. (Also, even though Apple claims their stuff is more
user-friendly, I find the GNU extensions to tools make them way nicer
than the BSD derived versions that Apple ships. Oh, right, I bet they
were not talking about the stuff in coreutils. ☺).

Out of curiosity: do you find that Apple still cares about their ppc
machines?

> Budget is $200-250 bucks.  I know, I know...  but that's about what
> they go for on eBay.  I just thought if there was a local source I
> could avoid the nightmare of having a tower shipped in.  There are
> indeed a couple of possibilities on CL, but I'd rather buy from a
> TriLUG member so they can afford a nice Android tablet or Raspberry
> Pi ;-).  As it turns out, I do have a TriLUG member possibly stepping
> up to the plate, so all's good.

I hope a Raspberry Pi isn’t that much, but I don’t know how much
they’re going for in the second-hand market.

Jack