[TriLUG] Thoughts from the IPv6/OpenPGPG hack day

Jack Hill jackhill at jackhill.us
Sun Apr 15 10:16:15 EDT 2012

Hi all,

I had a great time working with people yesterday, so thanks to all
those who came out. Especially Kevin for managing our test networks and
Bill for providing leadership. Also thanks to SplatSpace for hosting
us; it was neat to share a space with people working on textile
projects, both for variety and for a Windows machine that could talk
the HP tablet’s proprietary protocol.

I accomplished two IPv6 tasks:

The first was that I was able to get my laptop to connect to dual stack
networks and v6 only networks. There were some catches though. I was
using wicd with dhcpcd to configure my network. dhcpcd, however, only
supports dhcpv4 [0] so only worked on the dual stack networks where the
v6 address was configured with stateless address autoconfig. In order
to do dhcpv6 on the IPv6 only networks, I needed to use ISC’s dhclient.
dhclient worked well when called directly, but wicd fails to get a
lease (even on v4 only networks) when trying to use dhclient. I haven’t
tracked this down yet; suggestions on how to get more information would
be useful.

The other thing that I was able to do was set up radvd on the tunnel
endpoint at home, so I now have a dual-stack network with dhcpv4 for v4
addresses and resolver information and stateless address autoconfig for
v6 addresses. This works okay, but after a couple of hours I lose
routes to the outside world from stateless address autoconfigured
machines (the tunnel endpoint can still reach the outside world, and
the autoconfigured machines can still reach the endpoint). Any ideas?

The tasks that I did not get to included netbooting over IPv6, sending
an RTSP stream over v6 multicast, and setting up a direct server return
load balanced topology.

We had about five people participate in the keysigning. We had one
person create a new keypair. Before we are ready to have a larger
event, we would like more feedback from people who are creating keys
for the first time so that we know the common pitfalls and questions.

If people are up to it, I look forward to hearing about other people’s
experience at the hack day.

Jack

[0] http://roy.marples.name/projects/dhcpcd/wiki/DhcpcdFeatures