[TriLUG] Hardware problem

Seva Adari oddissyus at gmail.com
Wed Apr 18 11:43:06 EDT 2012

Hello all,

I have a legacy Redhat linux server that abruptly halts with
absolutely no hint of any the problem in any of the logs. I ran
'smartctl' and hard drive is good. After poking around I realized that
every time it stops, all I have to do is yank the power cord, plug it
back in and start the server and it comes back up only to stop again.
Some times it stays up for several days and sometimes only few
minutes. When this problem started couple months ago, I had the power
supply unit replaced.

I have some custom software on this server that is dragging the
transition to new hardware/software. I will definitely get to it, but
in the mean time I am hoping if there is anything simple I can do so I
can have the server stay up for some more time.

Thanks
__
Seva