[TriLUG] Hardware problem

Sean Korb spkorb at gmail.com
Wed Apr 18 12:14:41 EDT 2012

Not everyone has new hardware available, but you can box it up using
VMware p2v tools and then bring it up using KVM.  It's pretty elegant,
probably will run faster and takes the hardware out of the equation.
And on the host you could script a test to see if it was up and then
restart it if it times out.

sean

On Wed, Apr 18, 2012 at 11:43 AM, Seva Adari <oddissyus at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I have a legacy Redhat linux server that abruptly halts with
> absolutely no hint of any the problem in any of the logs. I ran
> 'smartctl' and hard drive is good. After poking around I realized that
> every time it stops, all I have to do is yank the power cord, plug it
> back in and start the server and it comes back up only to stop again.
> Some times it stays up for several days and sometimes only few
> minutes. When this problem started couple months ago, I had the power
> supply unit replaced.
>
> I have some custom software on this server that is dragging the
> transition to new hardware/software. I will definitely get to it, but
> in the mean time I am hoping if there is anything simple I can do so I
> can have the server stay up for some more time.
>
> Thanks
> __
> Seva
> --
> This message was sent to: Sean Korb <spkorb at gmail.com>

"Computers are useless.  They can only give you answers." -P. Picasso