[TriLUG] [OT] Time Warner Cable - new modem problems

Bill Farrow bill at arrowsreach.com
Thu Jun 7 22:26:06 EDT 2012

On Thu, Jun 7, 2012 at 10:12 PM, Jeremy Portzer <jeremyp at pobox.com> wrote:
> Does anyone know what model modems TWC is likely installing these days?  Are
> there any user-accessible log files as my father suggests?  Do they likely
> have a bum modem, and how can they convince TWC to replace it... just take
> it back to the store and argue?
>
> One thing that makes this on topic is that there is a Linux server behind
> this modem...

I had a similar problem with a TWC modem, which I convinced them to
replace and haven't had any issues since.

I set up a monitoring script to log the times and dates of outages
from my OpenWRT router behind the modem.  Modify this to suite your
needs:

#!/bin/sh
## http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/simple-linux-and-unix-system-monitoring-with-ping-command-and-scripts.html
HOSTS="8.8.8.8 192.168.100.1"
COUNT=4

for myHost in $HOSTS
do
  count=$(ping -c $COUNT $myHost | grep 'received' | awk -F',' '{
print $2 }' | awk '{ print $1 }')
  if [ $count -eq 0 ]; then
    # 100% failed
    echo "$(date)       $myHost is down (ping failed)" >>
/tmp/network-errors.txt
    pkill -USR1 udhcpc
  fi
done