[TriLUG] Linux Hardware Solution

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Thu Jun 21 12:28:58 EDT 2012

On Thu, 21 Jun 2012, Reginald.Reed at emc.com wrote:

> N40L details:
> http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/me/en/sm/WF25a/15351-15351-4237916-4237917-4237917-4248009.html?dnr=1

I notice the drives aren't hot-pluggable. I would like to be
able to hot-swap a failed drive and reconstruct a dead drive
on the fly.

There's only 4 drive bays. I assume with 4 drives, you'd be
running RAID-10 (I think it's called) rather than RAID-6.

I take it that you don't find either of these two a problem?

If I want 6 drives for RAID-6 and hot swappable with a
red/green light to show if the drive is dead, am I asking to
pay real money for the hardware?

>> From the FreeNAS site I see this device:
>> http://www.ixsystems.com/storage/ix/home-office-storage/freenas-
>> mini.html#freenas%E2%84%A2-features

this is hot swappable. I take it 4 drives is standard for
this type of device?

Joe