[TriLUG] Linux Hardware Solution

Reginald.Reed at emc.com Reginald.Reed at emc.com
Thu Jun 21 13:35:57 EDT 2012

I actually have a BIOS mod loaded that enables hot swap capabilities, but it wasn't the primary reason that I flashed the mod'd BIOS. My application isn't mission critical.

> There's only 4 drive bays. I assume with 4 drives, you'd be
> running RAID-10 (I think it's called) rather than RAID-6.

Not an issue for me, I'm not storing that much data and my current setup doesn't even have 4 identical disks.  I'm running two 320Gb disks mirrored for document backups and a couple of Samsung 1.5TB disks striped for big files I can stand to lose if a drive fails.

> I take it that you don't find either of these two a problem?

Nope.

> If I want 6 drives for RAID-6 and hot swappable with a
> red/green light to show if the drive is dead, am I asking to
> pay real money for the hardware?

I'd guess so, but I'm certainly not an expert.

--Reggie