[TriLUG] copying files

Bill Farrow bill at arrowsreach.com
Fri Jun 22 15:46:15 EDT 2012

On Fri, Jun 22, 2012 at 2:13 PM, Joseph Mack NA3T <jmack at wm7d.net> wrote:
> I like this. With Bill's way, if the box doesn't phone home, I don't know if
> it's lost power, has been run over by a pick-up truck, is safely on a shelf
> back in the office, or is being disassembled in the basement of a TriLUG'er.

I don't understand.  Your saying that if the client box is unable to
connect to the server that you will have more luck getting the server
to initiate the connection back to the client... ?!?

> maybe I will need a vpn after all. That will allow the server to connect to
> the client inside the vpn.

And we are back to the situation where the client box has a security
key without a passphrase for the VPN.  The client box still needs to
make the VPN connection to the server, so we end up back at the same
situation as the rsyncd method.

I would still recommend the rsyncd method: simple, robust, and your
server remains reasonably secure.

Bill