[TriLUG] copying files

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Fri Jun 22 15:54:33 EDT 2012

On Fri, 22 Jun 2012, Bill Farrow wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 22, 2012 at 2:13 PM, Joseph Mack NA3T <jmack at wm7d.net> wrote:
>> I like this. With Bill's way, if the box doesn't phone home, I don't know if
>> it's lost power, has been run over by a pick-up truck, is safely on a shelf
>> back in the office, or is being disassembled in the basement of a TriLUG'er.
>
> I don't understand.  Your saying that if the client box is unable to
> connect to the server that you will have more luck getting the server
> to initiate the connection back to the client... ?!?

no. If the public key is on the client and I can't locate
the client, then I care if the wrong person has the key
that's on the client. I don't have to worry about deleting
the key on the server.

>> maybe I will need a vpn after all. That will allow the
>> server to connect to the client inside the vpn.
>
> And we are back to the situation where the client box has a security
> key without a passphrase for the VPN.  The client box still needs to
> make the VPN connection to the server, so we end up back at the same
> situation as the rsyncd method.

yes.

> I would still recommend the rsyncd method: simple, robust, and your
> server remains reasonably secure.

it looks that way. I've been wrong enough before in this
thread, that I'm going to wait a bit before I say "I'm
sure".

Joe