[TriLUG] Thinkpad X201 display is always white

Aaron Joyner aaron at joyner.ws
Mon Jun 25 09:41:48 EDT 2012

All white panel probably indicates that the backlight is functioning
fine, but the display signal isn't getting from the video card to the
panel itself.  It could be a failure of any component or connection
between the video card's output for the panel, and the
 logic board that controls the panel.  Anything after that logic board
would likely only affect a portion of the panel.

Common things it might be, in decreasing order of likelihood and
increasing pain-to-fix:
1) loose connector between the mobo and the screen
2) failed lcd panel controller
3) failed LCD output on the video chipset

In all cases, the failure should have been sudden and complete.  No
period of time where half the screen worked, or some such.  Did you
smell ozone (that typical burnt-computer smell) immediately after?  If
you put your nose right up to the case or screen and sniff, you might
still smell it.  If so, it's probably 2 or 3.  If not, hopefully 1.

Since the computer (and screen in particular) are mostly relegated to
doormat status at the moment, now is a wonderful time to pull it apart
and poke around, mostly guilt-free.  You won't make it worse.  :)

Let us know what you find,
Aaron S. Joyner