[TriLUG] text damage using Intel video

Kevin Hunter hunteke at earlham.edu
Wed Jun 27 01:58:16 EDT 2012

At 12:44am -0400 Wed, 27 Jun 2012, Joseph S. Tate wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 26, 2012 at 9:19 PM, David Both wrote:
>> I have had some trouble with the Intel on-chip video, and sometimes
>> the on-motherboard video as well.
>
> Intel graphics, it's on-mobo.  What does "on-chip video" mean?

Historically, there were two avenues for offloading graphical
calculations to a dedicated chip: a cheap on-mobo solution, or buying a
dedicated add-on card.  The add-on cards were generally leaps and bounds
more powerful than the cheap on-mobo solutions.

Recently, Moore's law has allowed CPU designers to fit so many
transistors on the chip die, that it has apparently become desirable to
use some of the now-available silicon real-estate for other things, like
graphics processing.  The perceived advantage to this scheme is that the
transfer of information between CPU and GPU is mucho faster because now
the GPU is literally on the same chip as the CPU, eliding the need to
transfer data over the (relative) bottleneck that is the bus.  Indeed,
the CPU+GPU combination on the same die I'm now given to understand can
hand my current 4+ year old low-end graphics card it's lunch.

I haven't yet interacted with one, so I don't quite know how the
connection works.  That is, my layman's understanding was that whatever
did the processing, supplied the output medium for the monitor (i.e.
VGA/DVI connection).  I'm guessing there's still some plumbing required
on the mobo for this setup.

Cheers,

Kevin