[TriLUG] TWC Cable Modem requirement for +30Mbps

William Chandler wcchandler at gmail.com
Thu Jul 19 10:13:49 EDT 2012

I used my own surfboard modem on the lower speed plans but I had to get the
Ubee modem/router when I upgraded.  It's garbage.  A quick assessment --
when I ran it as a bridge alone with an older WRT54GL I had a drop of 5mbps
according speedtest.net and TWC's speed test tool.  When I used the Ubee as
a modem/router it gave me back what dropped.  It could have been the router
though (as it later crapped out).

After my router crapped out I had to use the Ubee as a router full time.
When my wife alone uses it, it'll drop on her at least once a day.  When I
use it, it drops about every 2 hours.  I'm not exactly sure where the
problem is.  When it drops out I stay connected on my laptop.  I can ping
the router and other devices on the network, but can't hit the first TWC
hop.  But from my raspberry pi, I lose connection to the wifi.  It drops
out completely.  I also have to restart the network or do a DHCP request
from some of my wired devices.

I'm pretty frustrated with it.