[TriLUG] TWC Cable Modem requirement for +30Mbps

Ron Kelley rkelleyrtp at gmail.com
Thu Jul 19 12:15:39 EDT 2012

Thanks everyone.  I picked up my new modem this morning and it is working great so far.  I got the Motorola SBG6580 modem instead of the Ubee modem.  After some quick web surfing before replacing the modem, I found out how to put the SBG6580 in bridge mode since I am running my own firewall (pfSense).  Initial speed tests indicate 30Mbps down and 5Mbps up!

For those who may need the instructions to get the modems into bridge mode:

* To put the SBG6580 into bridge mode, follow these instructions:  http://www.haxorware.com/forums/thread-1475.html
  (these worked perfectly for me)

* To put the Ubee modem into bridge mode, follow these instructions (many thanks to Carl Crider for providing them!):

To disable all of the functionality of the UBEE modem/router and use your own equipment you need to do two things:

	• Disable the Wireless
		• http://192.168.0.1
		• user: user  password: user
		• Navigate To: Wireless -> Primary Network
		• Primary Network = Disable
	• Put the device into Bridge Mode (Hidden Menu)
		• http://192.168.100.1/TlModeChange.asp
		• user: user  password: user
		• Tools - Operation Mode
		• Select "Bridge mode"
		• click "Apply"
		• Enjoy - The UBEE device will now have a 192.168.100.1 IP address and be out of your way.

William; I suspect following the above instructions for your Ubee modem will fix the issues you have.  From some research on the web, I learned the Ubee is a horrible wifi modem, and it is just best to get your own wifi device.

Thanks,

Ron Kelley
rkelleyrtp at gmail.com