[TriLUG] BlueTooth dongle purchase

Igor Partola igor at igorpartola.com
Fri Aug 10 13:43:56 EDT 2012

I know very little about Bluetooth as a technology, but how is the $39
different from this one:
http://www.dealextreme.com/p/mini-usb-bluetooth-v3-0-adapter-dongle-121165?item=10aside
from having the ability to have a high gain antenna?

As to what you could use it for, there are several things I can think of:

   - Networking: connect your smartphone to your computer. You could use
   this to share internet access with the computer.
   - Some printers have the ability to do Bluetooth printing.
   - Accessories. Personally, I used a Wii Remote to control Hulu Desktop
   on Ubuntu for a while.
   - Accessories. The Wii balance board is a bluetooth devices.
   - Accessories. I have a Bluebridge RX adapter that lets me listen
   connect my phone to my car stereo wirelessly. Kind of like an FM
   transmitter, but without the interference problems.
   - Accessories. Mice, keyboards, Apple trackpads, etc.
   - Authentication. Lock your computer when your phone is not near it.
   Detect this using Bluetooth.

There are probably plenty other uses that I've never encountered.

Igor