[TriLUG] VOIP soft phone help.

Thomas Gardner tmg at pobox.com
Mon Aug 20 16:00:31 EDT 2012

I did look into buying actual conference room phones a bit, but the
problems I was having there were 1) primarily expense.  I can think
of at least a dozen (likely even more) places I'd want to put one.
Per unit cost is pretty important.  The ones I saw were hundreds
per unit.  2) I'm really liking the idea of wireless, as long as it's
encrypted well.  At first I was thinking wired (who wants everything
you say to your wife broadcast to the whole neighborhood?), but
the more I thought about it, the more I thought a good encrypted IP
network should do the trick, and save a lot of hassle.  I've gotten
some really good information from a friend on this list so I think
I know what to look for.  3) I think I'd have to run my own phone
switch to make that work.  Yet another thing to spend money on and yet
another thing to learn.  At least what I learn about soft phones might
be useful in other ways.  I doubt learning about phone switches would.
4) I really want it to be an automatic system.  I don't think I'd be
able to program the phones to automatically dial into a conference
call when they come up.  If that's true, then going with conference
room phones means I'd have to go around to a dozen or so phones and
put each one on speaker and dial into the conference every time our
power goes out and comes back (which happens to us a LOT).

Thanks, though.  It was a good suggestion.  Unfortunately, when I was
looking into it, I just couldn't get past all that.  If you know of a
device, however, that addresses all or even some of the concerns above,
though, by all means please speak up 'cause I missed it.

Thanks,
tg.