[TriLUG] first post: looking for basic Linux course

David Both dboth at millennium-technology.com
Tue Aug 21 10:40:39 EDT 2012

<self-serving answer>
I teach a hands-on course, "Theory and Practice of Linux System Administration,"
that can take you from zero to CLI and a whole lot more in 5 days. It is NOT a
certificate course, but covers the things you need to know in order to do the
day to day administration of Linux hosts. I charge $2495 for this class with a
$500 discount for TriLUG members. For details on this course see my web site:
http://www.millennium-technology.com/?page_id=1046

I am also currently doing course development on an advanced course which will
cover advanced Linux administration and creating a complete, integrated server
environment, including DHCP, DNS, Apache, SendMail, SpamAssassin, MimeDefang,
NFS, SAMBA, and much more.

</self-serving answer>

There have been a number of recent discussions here about training. As a former
Red Hat trainer I can tell you the Red Hat courses are very good. But they are
expensive and you need more than one to cover the material you need to pass the
cert exams, if that is what you want.

I also teach the Linux+ classes, which I also think are good, but they do not
have the depth of content that either the Red Hat or my courses have.

New Horizons, in Cary, has Linux courses. You should check those out, but look
at the archives for this list as there was quite a discussion about them recently.

I think all of these courses cover some things that are quite obscure and seldom
used while skipping some things that might be more helpful in day to day usage.
Each has it's own objectives.

I have no idea about any of the on-line courses.

I do like Carl Crider's suggestion. Get something like Fedora, Centos or Debian
and install it, play with it, install the servers and configure them, break it
and fix it. Reinstall it as many times as you need to get comfortable with it.
If you have a host with enough memory and CPU, get VirtualBox and do all of this
in a VM without giving up your primary computer while you experiment.

For getting started with CLI, my favorite book is:  Mark G. Sobell: A Practical
Guide to Linux Commands, Editors, and Shell Programming; Prentice Hall, 2005,
ISBN 0-13-147823-0

Regardless of how you go about it I wish you well and hope you enjoy it. If you
have fun with it the rest will follow.