[TriLUG] Flash, was Re: first post: looking for basic Linux course

Tim Jowers timjowers at gmail.com
Thu Aug 23 08:38:32 EDT 2012

*Hi Jack,*
*
*In short, "yes, for animation apps". Flash is faster and can be designed
as video strips. Adobe just purchased PhoneGap. PhoneGap allows one to
write mobile apps using js and html. (The remainder was open sourced as
Apache Cordova but I think PhoneGap will stay the brand name for Adobe.).
 Flash is probably still much better for making animation-centric apps than
is js. But there's lots of momentum building for js (node.js and other
serverside technolgies are another example.) You can use native code for
game apps or do things in Flash or in js gaming/graphics libraries. Check
out abcmouse.com for one example of a very successful Flash app.*
*
*
*iOS: no flash but there are some work-arounds: *
http://www.bgr.com/2011/09/09/adobe-finally-brings-flash-to-iphone-and-ipad/
Android: Flash works. You usually have to install it to your phone
aftermarket however.
Linux: Adobe provides flashplayer.
Flex: (java layer for making flash apps integrated with server) Abandoned
by Adobe.
Air: Adobe runtime or VM which works on many platforms
DreamWeaver: Supports jQueryMobile and many other things for making
phone-based and other complex apps.

*Cheers,*
*Tim*
*