[TriLUG] ssl through reverse proxy

Cristóbal Palmer cristobalpalmer at gmail.com
Sat Aug 25 12:58:14 EDT 2012

As I understand things, your options are:

1) Share IPs and offload at the load balancer, or
2) Have one Public IP per https vhost if all hosts stay on 443 (hmmm… wouldn't IPv6 be really handy here?), or
3) If you can start on http and redirect to https, have a different port per https vhost. This is madness and redirect hell unless you have a very well-defined problem space.

There's no getting around the fact that the negotiation of the session happens before you know what vhost you're looking for, but you can only negotiate the session if you know which vhost you're looking for, so if you put multiple https vhosts on the same IP/port combo, you've got a chicken/egg problem: http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/ssl/ssl_faq.html#vhosts

Cheers!

--
Cristóbal Palmer
cmpalmer.org