[TriLUG] On resolving local names with dnsmasq

Brian Henning bhenning at pineinst.com
Fri Oct 5 10:18:20 EDT 2012

Hi Folks,

In my network at home, I've got dnsmasq providing DHCP and DNS services.
Which is great for everybody except the machine on which dnsmasq is actually
running (which also happens to be the gateway).

What I'm finding is that since other nodes are getting their DNS from
dnsmasq, dnsmasq is smart enough to search its leases file and resolve local
hostnames.  However, on the server itself, dnsmasq seems not to be part of
the resolving process.

"host" can find local names if I tell it to look to localhost:

  $ host blueman
  Host blueman not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)
  $ host blueman 127.0.0.1
  Using domain server:
  Name: 127.0.0.1
  Address: 127.0.0.1#53
  Aliases:

  blueman has address 192.168.0.124

I tried adding
  nameserver 127.0.0.1
to the end of /etc/resolv.conf, but that made no difference.

Short of editing /etc/hosts (which seems like the wrong approach for a host
assigned by DHCP), how can I get this to work?  I'd like to be able to do

  $ ssh blueman

and have it work instead of it saying "name or service not known."

I'm sure it's something simple I'm missing, but it's been a long week and my
brain is fried..

Thanks,
~Brian

          Brian Henning, Software Engineer