[TriLUG] KVM on a laptop

Bill Farrow bill at arrowsreach.com
Mon Oct 15 13:28:06 EDT 2012

I'm not sure how you set this up under Fedora...

For wired networking, you want the bridge (br0) to contain the real
interface (eth0) and the virtual interfaces (vnetX).  The real
interface (eth0) should not have an IP, and the host computer sends
all traffic via br0 which is configured with the host's IP address.
The  br0 IP address can be configured via DHCP or Static Address.

Host Computer:
$ brctl show
  bridge name    bridge id            STP enabled     interfaces
  br0     8000.xxxxxxxxxxxx        yes                  eth0
                                                                        vnet0
                                                                        vnet1

$ ifconfig
  br0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
             inet addr:192.168.1.10  Bcast:192.168.1.255  Mask:255.255.255.0

  eth0     Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
  vnet0   Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
  vnet1   Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx

For Wifi, I'm guessing that you want it to use wifi only when the
wired network is not connected.  I wonder if you can just add wlan0 to
bridged network as well as eth0 as long as only one is enabled at a
time.

Bill