[TriLUG] OT: PT One tech issue from tonight's debate

Aaron Joyner aaron at joyner.ws
Wed Oct 17 00:09:01 EDT 2012

Warning: this is veering *seriously* off topic for this list.

With that disclaimer... sure.  I'll bite.  Given the inevitable boom
that would result from the free melting pot of smart minds, yes.  I'd
*love* for my child to grow up in that world with a solid technical
background.  Any other thinking is protectionist nonsense.  I want my
son to work with the best and brightest minds in the world, not the
best and brightest minds that happen to be born here, or fit inside
the quota system centrally planned by a bureaucrat with no first-hand
knowledge of the needs of a particular sector.

Either you believe that great minds work together to create great
tools/products/widgets that make society better, which makes us all
better off, thus the more of that the merrier... or you believe that
there is a finite number of jobs and we have to keep people not born
here from stealing them, or we won't have any work to do.  Personally,
I firmly believe in the former, market-driven, entrepreneurial, world
view.  Elucidating why is probably unforgivably far off topic for this
list.

Aaron S. Joyner

PS - I didn't watch the debate, as it's very unlikely I'll vote for
either of the candidates in that debate.  What we really need is
voting reform, to something satisfying the Condorcet criterion, so I
can realistically stack rank a large field of candidates.
Unfortunately, I don't hold out high hope that we'll break the 2-party
gridlock in my life time, though.