[TriLUG] A rare look inside a Google Datacenter

Jeremy Portzer jeremyp at pobox.com
Wed Oct 17 20:46:49 EDT 2012

On 10/18/2012 2:49 AM, matt at noway2.thruhere.net wrote:
> Quite interesting.  I wonder how do they keep the exchangers from fowling
> up when they run sea water through them.  It would be impossible to
> chemically treat the sea water.  Sea water would have less of a problem
> with bacteria, but I think that the saline would plug up the P&F's pretty
> quick.

It requires specific materials and technology, but cooling via seawater
is not a new problem.  Marine engines from your 1-hp putt-putt outboard
right up to the biggest container ship use seawater cooling systems, and
the technology for protecting against the salt and other contaminants is
pretty mature.  I don't see why you couldn't use standard marine
engineering techniques for a stationary seawater cooling plant.

The more interesting discussion is the situation around the outlet where
the warm water is returned - this could be considered an unacceptable
environmental impact in some areas depending on the details.  I would
guess that could be mitigated by lots of outlet pipes spreading the warm
water over a larger area?

Cheers,
Jeremy