[TriLUG] A rare look inside a Google Datacenter

Aaron Joyner aaron at joyner.ws
Wed Oct 17 23:02:41 EDT 2012

Joe actually talks about that in the video.  The Hamina DC mixes a
large volume of cold sea water with the heated sea water in a
tempering building, before releasing it back into the sea, to avoid
exactly the environmental concern you mention.

Hamina is a pretty special place though, you can't do direct transfer
just anywhere.  In order for it to be practical to release heat into a
body of water, you have to have sufficient volume and flow to be able
to absorb the heat, which takes a surprisingly large volume of water.
I always thought it would make a lot of sense to do direct heat
transfer into the Columbia River in The Dalles, OR.  It's just feet
away from the datacenter, and seems like a lot of water rushing by...
but it wouldn't be acceptable to do it there largely because the
smaller volume and flow of water overall, the lower initial
temperature of the water, and the particularly sensitive environmental
concerns of that freshwater source.  The Columbia River is big... but
it's got nothing on the Gulf of Finland.  :)

Aaron S. Joyner