[TriLUG] OT: PT One tech issue from tonight's debate

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Thu Oct 18 18:19:29 EDT 2012

On Thu, 18 Oct 2012, Randy Barlow wrote:

> On 10/18/2012 03:54 PM, tj wrote:
>> I need to mention, not many "americans" are interested in Sciences...
>> moslty stay on business major....

> I believe we may be seeing so many advanced tech jobs
> going to foreigners because there really aren't that many
> qualified Americans who seem to be pursuing that career
> path.

yes but why?

I came to this country in 1975 a newly minted PhD, working
as a biochemist post-doc at UCDavis. None of us were on
benefits (it wasn't till I was 40 that I got a job with
benefits) and we worked for free for 1/3 of the time.

I thought I'd arrived; I was in the country of the Apollo
program. But there was barely an american to be seen. "Why
not?" I asked. I was looked at as if I was stupid. No
american would work for the salary of a PhD scientist. A
lawyer would be partner before I got a permanent job with a
salary that I couldn't hope for in my lifetime. His
experience would increase his value to his employer, while
it would diminish mine. Any permanent job I would get would
be teaching and having students do the work for you for
free, or else regulating or management. Any scientist still
at the bench after 10yrs is regarded a failure; you should
be managing students who'll do it for free. When later I
moved to computing, I found that age is discriminated
against in the same way.

I got a green card and then a US citizenship by taking a job
that no american would take. It was easy. I'd been doing
exactly that for 10yrs without thinking a thing of it.
Anyone who thinks that there are diligent searches for US
citizens for these jobs is blind, stupid, or lying. There
are no americans to take these jobs! No-one wants them! Only
foreigners will take them.

If you want to know more about how the system works read
"The Myth of a desperate labor shortage"

http://heather.cs.ucdavis.edu/glut.html

Now 35yrs later, when I visit Australia, I talk to my
friends in university positions there. It's just like the
USA was 35 yrs ago. Now no Australian will do STEM. They
won't tolerate the salaries. All the science and math
students are foreigners, who pay full rates for enrollment
and are now a major source of funding for universities.

My son turned out not to be interested in science or
computing. I would have steered him away if he had. I taught
programming to a high school student for a couple of years.
I warned him what a science/career would hold for him.

Joe