[TriLUG] OT: PT One tech issue from tonight's debate

Brandon Van Every bvanevery at gmail.com
Fri Oct 19 16:22:21 EDT 2012

On Fri, Oct 19, 2012 at 2:44 PM, Scott Chilcote <scottchilcote at att.net> wrote:
> On 10/19/2012 11:08 AM, Ron Kelley wrote:
>> I have been silent thru this email thread but could not hold my breath any longer...
>>
>> Wow - just wow!  So much negative sentiment from the posts below.  If you believe what these guys are saying, no one in the USA could every get a professional job because of a million reasons.  From "Screw educational degrees", to "...college degrees are little more than class warfare...", to don't become a scientist because "you don't want a wife and kids...".  LOL, what a bunch of garbage!
> Hi Ron,
>
> When you take many of the worst statements people have made in their
> contributions to this thread, strip them of their context and roll them
> together into a paragraph, you definitely get a big lump of negativity
> to build a case out of.

Actually you get that just trying to read and make sense of this
entire thread.  ;-)  Lotta screaming going on here and some people
definitely feel very threatened by something.  I'm not enough of a
catastrophist to believe that the sky is falling.  I believe that our
personalities and life attitudes have a role to play in the choices we
make.  How much fear is created from fear itself?  Perhaps all the
stressed out techies should take up meditation, or other warrior arts,
to deal with the difficulties of their situations.  Perhaps people
should try to be more independent and put the business hat on a
little, instead of insisting that an "alien" world of "suits" with
different skills "owes" them an untrammeled playground of technology,
where anything they do as an employee will be forever valued.
Competition is brutal, change is disruptive, but you know what?
Engineers have a saying: "LIFE IS HARD."  Feel free to search around
for the meaning of that phrase.  As much as H1Bs could possibly be a
problem and have negative effects, I refuse to accept the ranting of
people on this list as some kind of "pronouncement" on what will
happen, or what we each personally can do about it.  I definitely draw
the line at poisoning the minds of children, who have an optimism and
resiliency for future endeavors that older people should perhaps seek
to emulate and rediscover, rather than warn direly against.

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every