[TriLUG] OT: PT One tech issue from tonight's debate

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Fri Oct 19 20:04:09 EDT 2012

On Fri, 19 Oct 2012, Ron Kelley wrote:

> Right....  Because those are not really jobs, right?  What kind of IT career are you *specifically* looking for?
>
> On Oct 19, 2012, at 12:13 PM, Joseph Mack NA3T wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 19 Oct 2012, Ron Kelley wrote:
>>
>>> Sorry, visit the NetApp "careers" page and look for jobs
>>> in NC - RTP with the keyword "storage".  There are 56
>>> current job openings.
>>
>> yes
>>
>> you didn't mention that 32 are management, windows, new grad, interns, sales, marketing and answering the phone.

looking at the remaining 24 storage jobs: I expect they have
quite nice salaries and can be filled at any NetApp site.
Presumably the team is spread all over the country.

I expect these jobs require special skills; filesystems,
fibrechannel, embedded programming of disk array
controllers, flash cache, nfs/cifs. I expect for a nice
salary, they'd want 10yrs of programming.

Where are you going to get someone with 10yrs of any of
these skills? (Where are you going to find someone who's
been programming the same system for 10yrs and wants more?)
>From within the company, or from your competitor(s). No-one
else has 10yrs of these skills. Why would a person from the
competition want to move to exactly (or almost) the same
job. I don't know. Perhaps they can't be promoted there.

The only competitor is EMC^2 and they only have a storage
facility here. The programmers are in Boston (AFAIK). So the
only place NetApp can fill the NC positions, without someone
moving, is from within the company.

If so, this would indicate that none of those 24 jobs at
NetApp in NC will be filled by regular programmers out and
about in RTP.

Joe