[TriLUG] of-list Re: OT: PT One tech issue from tonight's debate

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Sat Oct 20 01:45:10 EDT 2012

On Fri, 19 Oct 2012 19:50:59 -0400, matt at noway2.thruhere.net said:
> Good Evening Joe,
>
> I understand what you are saying and I wish I had an explanation. It
> seems as if the nation is becoming polarized between two pathological
> extremes, neither of which is wholly correct and neither of which is
> willing to listen to any sort of reason.

Hi Matt,

What you wrote above doesn't correctly portray the real situation. On
one side are people beating their chests and yelling "Let em all in if
they have degrees!" The polar opposite of that would be "Seal the
borders, America for Americans!" Nobody, and I mean nobody, said that.

One side basically said "The corporations should be allowed to do
anything they want!" The polar opposite of that would be "Nationalize
the corporations, allow no private ownership!" Nobody said that either.

One side was polarized, the other just said "Wait, let's be thoughtful
and take a look at this."

If you want people to actually think about their views, it's important
not to characterize thinkers as "polarized" or a "pathological
extreme", just because another bunch instinctively knee-jerks as far to
one side of the spectrum as possible.

SteveT