[TriLUG] of-list Re: OT: PT One tech issue from tonight's debate

matt at noway2.thruhere.net matt at noway2.thruhere.net
Sat Oct 20 08:44:35 EDT 2012

Steve, I think you may have misunderstood what I was trying to say and I
would like to offer up a clarification. The polarization I was referring
to is that which is being created artificially, mostly by the talking
heads, much of which is aimed specifically at non thinkers.  I wasn't
refering to thinkers, as pathalogical but the message of the two extremes.
 Specifically, if one listens to any political or economic media outlet,
both Conservative or Liberal, and listens dispationately, you will notice
the framing of their statements is: either you agree with my entire
premise, or your against me.  Furthermore, the messages are designed to
make you, the listener, feel singled out against a whole nation of people
for whom the truth is intuitively obvious.  It is being phrased in such a
way that there is no room for thinkining alternatives.

Part of the problem, and what I was trying to get at with my message is
that I think that this tactic has been succesful and we are seeing it
reflected in the populist attitudes.  For example: either we have the best
health care system in the world, or we have a system that ranks marginally
better than some war torn nations.  Similarly, as see in a couple of
recent threads: either this is a great state to live with many high paying
tech opportunities, OR it is a state that ranks very low in education and
employment.  Both of these positions are correct.

It is equally important to realize that we can adress the problems, the
alternatives aren't limited to shut up or move.