[TriLUG] OT: PT One tech issue from tonight's debate

Sean Korb spkorb at gmail.com
Sat Oct 20 20:41:59 EDT 2012

On Sat, Oct 20, 2012 at 5:36 PM, Chris Merrill <chris at webperformance.com> wrote:
> On 10/20/2012 4:51 AM, Joseph Mack NA3T wrote:
>> Chris Merrill thinks that if something is wrong you should move too. This doesn't scale. You can't
>> abandon a place because you aren't prepared to fix the problems. Using that approach, soon nowhere
>> will be fit to live. To fix problems, first you have to make people aware that they exist.
>
> That is NOT what I said. I suggested that YOU might consider moving. You seem to have an
> exceptionally long list of complaints - many of which are very difficult to fix. If I had a list
> that long, that's what I'd do.  For me, it makes more sense to move to a place you like then to
> pursue a long and difficult battle to change an area to your desires.  A battle that you are likely
> to loose because the area is already populated with people who like it the way it is.

Regardless of the content of a list of complaints, it's important to
fight for what you want.  If there is a better place, than moving is a
good idea, but I get a great deal of pleasure being a curmudgeon in a
place that I love.  Endless pleasure.

So I will keep complaining and fight for my perceptions and
observations and ideas to be heard.  And I'll try not to shut
everybody else up.

And ummm... I really don't have any good answers for this.  As long as
other countries invest in education as much as we do there will be
fierce competition for the best jobs.  And the currency for engineers
is not really money.  It's respect.  And that currency has been in
very short supply for a decade now.  I hope it comes back.

sean