[TriLUG] this is a serious question - how to detect things in photos with Linux

Max TenEyck Woodbury max at mtew.isa-geek.net
Sat Dec 8 09:22:00 EST 2012

On 12/07/2012 10:55 PM, Greg Brown wrote:
> Background: I have been tasked with building the technical end
>of a 21st century photo booth, the kind you sit in that used to
>spit out four photos, for a company on the Outer Banks.  Instead
>of printing out photos said company wants to upload photos to
>their Facebook page, website, etc.. perhaps even Tweet them.
>
> Easy enough, right?  (famous last words)  Get a Linux
>single-board-computer (one with wi-fi to connect to the office
>network and Internet), a webcam, write some simple scripts and
>success!
>
> But that said, being as this will be an automated process and
>people are people I need to come up with a way to detect boobs,
>butts and junk (yes, I'm serious) to filter and objectionable
>pictures before they are uploaded.
>
> Has anyone done anything like this?  I've seen some projects
>on-line that shoots water at squirrels eating birdseed and
>whatnot and maybe that's the way.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas?

As mentioned in other threads, a UPF is a necessary part of such a
system, but another filter could useful for pre-screening.  In
particular, A face recognition procedure might be useful to sort the
stream into known clients, who can presumably be trusted with no or
minimal UPF review and unknowns that need closer inspection.