[TriLUG] this is a serious question - how to detect things in photos with Linux

Matt Flyer matt at noway2.thruhere.net
Sat Dec 8 09:30:22 EST 2012

I think this part is a good idea.  Face recognition algorithms are likely more available than 'junk' recognition ones.  Combined with a limit regarding faces being at least a certain percentage of the image and you might have a solution for prefilter.

I used to work in currency validation (at the onset of the DSP revolution).  The algorithms worked by statistically computing the error deviation from a standardized mean.  With modern images, you would need to look for patterns in two dimensions, which would be a lot more complex, then color variations, etc. It would be a lot of processing.

I also know that Panasonic security cameras have facial detection in software.  This might be a good research point.  Maybe even consider 'no face' = 'no sanppy'?

Sent via BlackBerry