[TriLUG] TWC DVR & Modem Recommendations

Steven Waters swaters at livingstreets.com
Sun Dec 16 15:50:01 EST 2012

Ron Young:

TWC maintains a list of "approved" cable modems, most of which cost
around $150 for Turbo/Extreme/Ultimate plans.  With their new monthly
fee of $4.22 including tax, it would take three years to pay for itself,
and you may be fed up with TWC or find a new technology long before
then.  I see they finally added a few modems to the list in the $80
range, but that would still take a year and a half to pay for itself:

http://www.timewarnercable.com/en/residential-home/support/topics/internet/buy-your-modem.html

Instead, what I did was search on Amazon for the same model I had --
Ambit (now Ubee) U10C018 -- and found a used one for $16 with free
shipping.  It handles 30 Mbps down and 2 Mbps up flawlessly, and paid
for itself in less than four months:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B001R5DJ7I/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used&qid=1355690811&sr=8-1

I highly recommend this option if you are planning to keep TWC internet
for at least 3.8 months :)

Steven N. Waters
Raleigh, North Carolina, USA
Phone: 919-792-8612 - Fax: 919-882-0997