[TriLUG] azureus/bittorrent slowdown

Chris Merrill chris at webperformance.com
Wed Dec 19 08:29:18 EST 2012

IIRC, Azureus is a Java app. Java caches DNS lookups internally. I have no idea if that is related
to your problem or if Bittorrent uses DNS at all...but it _would_ be cured by restarting the app. I
would not expect ISP throttling or router problems to be affected by restarting the app.

On 12/18/2012 7:52 PM, Joseph Mack NA3T wrote:
> For a couple of years now, I've left my desktop machine running as a bittorrent node. When I start
> it up, it uploads at the set max speed. Then after a couple of hours to a day, it slows down to
> 10-25% of max_speed. If I let it run for a couple of weeks and monitor it with rrdtool, I see the
> speed come up to max now and then but mostly runs at 10-25%. However every time I stop azureus and
> restart it, it runs flat out for 6-24hrs.
>
> I wonder what's causing the slowdown. Could it be my ISP (Frontier) looking for bittorrent packets?
> The logs from azureus are full of problems,
>
> eg
>
> Exception while processing the Tracker Request for http://tracker.bittorrent.am:80/
>
> whether it's running full speed or 10% and I have no idea what to do about any of them (if indeed
> they are problems I can fix).
>
> Anyone got any ideas why azureus slows down after a couple of hours?
>
> Thanks
> Joe

chris at webperformance.com                |  http://webperformance.com
919-433-1762                            |  919-845-7601

Web Performance: Website Load Testing Software & Services