[TriLUG] azureus/bittorrent slowdown

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Thu Dec 20 19:19:18 EST 2012

Chris and Steve suggested stopping java from caching DNS.
That didn't help, but thanks for the suggestion.

Aaron - yes I undestand that it's a NAT problem, but I still
don't understand why it works at all if NAT isn't setup.
Lance says that everything will crawl to a halt, which is
what I see, but why it works at all I don't know.

On Wed, 19 Dec 2012, Lance A. Brown wrote:

>>> I fixed it by manually entering the port forwards needed
>>> to allow inbound connections to my torrent program.

I had my firewall dropping all connections to high ports. I
added an exception for 47518. In my rrdtool graphic
monitoring, I now have almost no high port packets being
dropped. Previously I had about 6/sec. When I wrote my
firewall, I looked at dropped packets to see if they might
be anything I needed. Presumably I looked at all these
packets but I can't have seen that they were all to or from
47518. With my machines all appearing to behave normally
enough, I had no idea what these packets were.

Following your suggestion, I forwarded 47518 (t and u) to my
azureus box and put in a dnat rule for tcp and udp. The nat
test in azureus now passes.

The change was immediate. The window from which I launched
azureus, had been a waterfall of errors, which I never
understood

eg

Exception while processing the Tracker Request for http://tracker.bittorrent.am:80/

these stopped (or only come now and then)

In the azureus gui, now all files are either inactive or
uploading. Previously there'd been errors for many of the
files. Now about 16 files are uploading, whereas before only
ever 1 or 2 files would upload.

I'm only uploading at about 75% of my set upper limit. I
would have expected it to go at full bore. I guess there's
more uploaders than is needed ;-)

>> let me try that.
>>
>> If it needs these, how can it work at all if I don't have
>> them?
>
> Very poorly if at all.  Initially, while you are
> downloading files using bittorrent, things will go well.
> After a while, if you can't reliably get inbound
> connections, you'll see things tail off and you won't be
> able to seed torrents worth a damn.

downloads go fine. I guess masquerading will handle that.

However I have been uploading for years, admittedly at an
erratic rate.

I expect to start an upload (seed?) someone has to connect
to me. Is there a way of uploading where I connect to
someone else?

Looking in the azureus screen I see under the "seeds" column
for uploading file "0 of n" (n some int). I take it I'm not
seeding.

For the inactive files I see numbers in the "seeds" column.
I take it that these are other people seeding.

Under "peers" I see "3 of 15" which means I'm peering with 3
hosts (at least from the swarm diagram).

Presumably when I upload I can seed or peer and I've only
ever been peering before.

Joe