[TriLUG] azureus/bittorrent slowdown

Aaron Joyner aaron at joyner.ws
Wed Dec 19 16:14:49 EST 2012

This is also only a problem for two peers who *both* can't be reached
directly from the outside world.  Consider Alice and Bob who wish to
transfer a file via bittorrent.  As long as Alice has properly
configured her firewall to allow incoming connections, it doesn't
matter that Bob doesn't accept incoming connections, it only requires
that Bob initiate all the connections to Alice.*  When Bob wants to
transfer a file from Eve, who *also* doesn't accept incoming
connections, neither can initiate a chunk transfer.  Thus, the
inability to receive incoming connections merely limits the number of
peers Bob can communicate with.  This can have the practical effect of
reducing Bob's throughput, unless the aggregate bandwidth of the peers
in the network who accept incoming connections is greater than his
available bandwidth.

If I were a betting man... I'd say the most likely problem is that
Azureus has a bug, either in it's own code, in the version of the JVM
you're running it with, or the interaction between the two.  Carl's
suggestion of trying with another torrent client such as Transmission
is an excellent one.  You might also wish to keep an eye on memory or
CPU usage of Azureus, and see if it correlates with speed.

Happy torrenting!
Aaron S. Joyner

* - Honestly, I forget whether the bittorrent protocol is smart enough
to cause Bob to initiate connections to Alice if it's Alice who needs
a chunk that Bob has.  I think so, but I'm not certain.  Confirming
that is left as an exercise to the reader.