[TriLUG] azureus/bittorrent slowdown

Lance A. Brown lance at bearcircle.net
Wed Dec 19 15:13:59 EST 2012

On 12/18/12 21:01, Joseph Mack NA3T wrote:
> I just ran the NAT test on azureus and found that port 47518 (udp/tcp) is
> blocked. Presumably I ran this test when I installed it. If it failed then I
> probably said "well it it's uploading and downloading, what else do I need?".

Yep, try putting in a manual forwarding in your linux box to send traffic for
port 47518 to your asureus machine and see what happens.  Make sure to
configure Azereus so that it always uses that port.  Some clients will pick a
new random port every time they start.  That works fine if uPNP is working,
but is a pain with manual port forwarding.

>> I fixed it by manually entering the port forwards needed to allow inbound
>> connections to my torrent program.
>
> let me try that.
>
> If it needs these, how can it work at all if I don't have them?

Very poorly if at all.  Initially, while you are downloading files using
bittorrent, things will go well.  After a while, if you can't reliably get
inbound connections, you'll see things tail off and you won't be able to seed
torrents worth a damn.

--[Lance]

--
 GPG Fingerprint: 409B A409 A38D 92BF 15D9 6EEE 9A82 F2AC 69AC 07B9
 CACert.org Assurer