[TriLUG] azureus/bittorrent slowdown

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Tue Dec 18 21:01:22 EST 2012

On Tue, 18 Dec 2012, Lance A. Brown wrote:

> Are you behind a NATting router

yes. Just a regular linux box as the router, sitting behind
a DSL modem in bridge mode.

> and using uPNP or port forwarding to get the torrent
> traffic through?

no. doing anything special. I remember when I set it up that
I didn't really know what was going on with bittorrent. It
seemed to work OK in both directions and I didn't really
know what the slowdown was about, but it wasn't a great
problem so I forgot about it.

I just ran the NAT test on azureus and found that port 47518
(udp/tcp) is blocked. Presumably I ran this test when I
installed it. If it failed then I probably said "well it
it's uploading and downloading, what else do I need?".

> I fixed it by manually entering the port forwards needed
> to allow inbound connections to my torrent program.

let me try that.

If it needs these, how can it work at all if I don't have
them?

Thanks
Joe